Wednesday, March 30, 2011

#21 Scorpion Orchid






I had made this tutorial a while back and just forgot to post it. 
It's another of my Fearsome Foliage. 



Yes I know.... another plant! 
But you know witches have a lot of weird stuff in their garden.







There is a real flower called the Scorpion Orchid but what I had in mind was a bit more literal.







I again used "Creative Paper Clay" because this needs to be extremely light as not to weigh down the delicate silk plant. Paper clay is the perfect choice here. 





So I am making a super light weight yet long scorpion tail.

I rolled little cylinders of the clay and pushed them on just regular floral wire approximately 3 to 4 inch length.








When I had the amount I wanted I smoothed and evened it all out. Then I curved the wire like a scorpions tail and defined or added more joints as needed.











 For the stinger tip just a little ball of clay.....


...gently rolled one end.....


...to a point......



..and stuck it on the end of the tail.




Let it dry completely.





For the claw like stamens, you could just curl some extra stem pieces from a silk flower.



Or I found these claw like pieces inside a plant I had, and just bent them into curves.






The flower was just a simple dollar store orchid. I manipulated it slightly. 

Since this was only an experiment I went cheap, but I will likely try this with a nicer silk orchid next time.







With Hot glue I attached the tail to the back of the flower. I also glued between the joints of the tail that didn't stick to each other, and hot glued the stamens in the front center of the flower.




I painted the tail black and added some brown highlights. I also painted the stamens and flower center and used water down black paint to stain the petals and leaves.


And there you have it .











3 comments:

  1. wow! It's perfect this tutorial, I think that I will try to make this. And maybe one of tutorials serve me for my dollhouse!
    Your blog is very nice and interesting! I will visit you! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your design! I'm so intregued by the whole wicked plant/garden theme. Keep the wicked plants coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely but creepy, but then you always are!

    ReplyDelete